Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The pretzels are to die for....

My best guy friend and his beautiful and undoubtedly better half are coming for a visit in 2 weeks!! Michael and I have been friends for 20 years and roommates on and off throughout that time.  When Matt and I married, Michael moved to the east coast where he met Lisa, and they're in Pennsylvania until we convince them to give up their well paying jobs and move to Chico. I go see them once a year in the spring, and they come see us in the summer. 


The last time I was there we went to the Amish country and I could not get enough pretzels! Soft and chewy, salty and warm. There's nothing better! When I got to the airport to go home there were vendors selling them right outside the gate, so I got Matt a six-pack and boarded the plane..... I ate them all. I decided I had to make them for Matt to make up for my gluttony. I searched and searched for the perfect recipe, making about 6 batches before finding the perfect pretzels. This is so quick and easy, and I guarantee there will be none left over. Enjoy! 



Amish Pretzels

Ingredients

DIPPING SOLUTION

Directions


  1. 1
    Dissolve yeast into warm water.

  2. 2
    Add sugar, then flour& mix well- do not 'knead' as this toughens the dough.

  3. 3
    (Mix just until combined well) Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.

  4. 4
    Cut into long 'ropes'.

  5. 5
    Shape into pretzel shapes, then dip into prepared dipping solution.

  6. 6
    Place on non-stick cookie sheet and sprinkle with course sea salt.

  7. 7
    Bake at 500-550°F for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.

  8. 8
    Dip face of pretzel into melted butter.

  9. 9
    Variation: add 1 t vanilla to the dough.

  10. 10
    Flavor variations.

  11. 11
    Cinnamon/sugar- omit salt& dip into cinnamon sugar after face has been coated with butter.

  12. 12
    Sour cream& onion- after dipping face of pretzel in butter, sprinkle with sour cream& onion powder Garlic- same as sour cream& onion, but use garlic powder.

  13. 13
    Sesame or poppy seed--BEFORE baking, AFTER dipping into dipping solution, dip pretzel face-down into the seeds, then bake.

  14. 14
    Salt is optional with this one.
  15. Makes 16 pretzels

No comments:

Post a Comment