Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy New Year....



As part of my annual calendar wrap up, I look at the year in review online. The internet is a fantastic tool for researching pop-culture, and I find myself getting lost amongst the trivial topics of what our society deems important. I am particularly fond of lists. Top 10's are always interesting, and sometimes surprising: from New Year's resolutions to what became popular, and what waned. The best photos from National Geographic. The year's hottest music and movies.

But the best is always the most Google searched topics.
A telling example is Christmas Day's most popular queries:

  1. prime rib roast cooking time
  2. after christmas sales 2009
  3. is starbucks open on christmas
  4. what stores are open on christmas day 2009
  5. mele kaliki maka
  6. oklahoma road conditions
  7. walmart christmas store hours
  8. is best buy open on christmas
  9. iowa road conditions map
  10. mimosa
Okay, I get the prime rib thing, but Starbucks? WalMart hours? What kind of society do we live in that searches for Best Buy Christmas hours before the mimosas? Has Corporate America taken over our common sense? (Is common sense an oxymoron?)


I wish you a very happy new year, that you kiss your soulmate at midnight and all of your searches end with mimosas.





.

1 comment:

  1. hi Kate, I love your blog. Mine is not quite this advanced! It was fun meeting you in the airport in Burbank. I can still smell your citrine. Have you read the girl with the dragon tattoo? I am reading it and it got really freakin good on the airplane!! Happy New Year! I couldn't kiss my soulmate on New Year's Eve because Snowbelle, was in Texas and I was in California..Am I the only person whose soulmate is a dog??

    ReplyDelete